I know it seems hard to believe but summer is coming to a close. The long, hot, lazy days have already gone bye bye for many people and the cooler temperatures are taking over more and more frequently. Autumn looms on the horizon, just a few days away.
Sadly there is only one week of official summer left. What should you do? Here are 10 fun things you should do, before fall officially arrives. Notice I said FUN. This list does not include chores!
1. Do your morning (or evening) exercise routine outside on your exercise mat. Enjoy the smells and sounds of the season.
2. Eat watermelon in the backyard with your kids and their friends. Remember eating watermelon when you were a kid?
3. Play outside with your kids after supper. Soon it will be dark by suppertime.
4. Pick the rest of your vegetables from your garden and make Summers End Soup for dinner. It’s easy to make:
6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
vegetables from your garden
1 teaspoon garlic powder or fresh grated garlic if you grow it
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon thyme
a handful of pasta or rice whichever you prefer
Put everything but the pasta in a big soup pot and bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes
Toss in pasta or rice and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until pasta or rice is done
Serve with bread sticks or crackers and fruit
If you don’t have a garden this year, visit a farmers market and pick up some veggies for your soup. The farmer will appreciate the business and your family will appreciate the soup!
5. Go the the lake or beach, one last time. Even if it is too chilly to swim, take off your shoes and walk along the shore in the water. Collect pretty rocks or shells. Say goodbye to the water until next year.
6. Have a summers end BBQ. Cook and eat outside (even if you have to wear sweaters) Enjoy the company of friends in the outdoors. Don’t forget the s’mores!
What would you add to this list of good-bye to summer activities?
I love to write and create graphics. Come see both at my sites:
Homemade by Jade - my blog for homesteading -http://www.homemade-by-jade.com and Jadelynx Graphix - my site for social media graphics - http://jadelynxgraphix.weebly.com/ I also have a great store online called Industrial Decor for Less which is at http://www.industrialdecorforless.com
You can also find my writing on Webnuggetz, Daily Two Cents and Hub Pages.